Home | Job Postings
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Overview & Opportunity /
SYNONYM is a new bustling day & night neighbourhood café-resto-bar-bookshop located on James St N that celebrates art, design & culture. Our offering includes specialty coffee, a from-scratch menu, low-intervention wine and craft beer in addition to a curated selection of art books. We’re looking for a well-rounded FOH hospitality professional with a strong specialty coffee background to join our team immediately.
Join us as we gear up to launch our patio and head into an incredible season in the North James North neighbourhood!
- Bringing your best self to work & contributing to a positive atmosphere
- Projecting a collaborative, team environment by supporting peers throughout service
- Ensuring guests feel welcomed & following service flow guidelines
- Being knowledgeable about the full menu including a rotating wine & craft beer menu
- Being knowledgeable about the bookshop
- Taking ownership of front of house (bar/seating area/bookshop) and driving a positive customer experience
- Taking guest requests at the counter and at the table
- Inputting guest requests into the POS system accurately
- Consistently & quickly:
- Preparing/serving a range of espresso-based drinks based
- Preparing/serving pastries & other hot/cold beverages
- Serving wine & beer
- Food running items from the kitchen
- Packaging books according to brand standards
- Proactively addressing guest concerns/complaints
- Other duties as assigned including supporting events
- Routinely cleaning all front of house areas (bar, floor, equipment, tables etc.)
- Replenishing inventory in all front of house areas (cream & sugar, to-go packaging etc.)
- Reporting potential safety hazards
- Informing the manager on duty of any operational inconsistencies
- Following all opening, mid-day, afternoon and closing duty procedures; Signs off on duties once completed
- Must have experience in a café/restaurant/bar
- Must have minimum 1+ year of specialty coffee experience
- Two industry references
- Smart Serve Certified
- Food Safety Certified a plus!
- Must be legally able to work in Canada
To apply, please e-mail your resume and a brief covering letter to:
From-scratch kitchen sourcing organic, natural ingredients.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Jun 1 2019