EMPLOIS MONTREAL JOBS
Position: Collective garden facilitator
Organization: The Depot Community Food Centre
Location: Montréal QC (Notre-Dame-de-Grâce / NDG)
Dates: 27hrs/week from March 30 to November 6, 2020)
About the Depot Community Food Centre
Founded in 1986, the Depot Community Food Centre is a community-based non-profit organization that works collaboratively with its community to address the root causes of hunger and poverty in NDG and the surrounding areas in a manner that ensures dignity, community engagement and the development of human potential.
At the Depot Community Food Centre, we offer a variety of food-related activities to support the food security and healthy eating habits of youth, families and individuals. Our activities are classified in three streams: Food Procurement and Distribution, Food Skills and Urban Agriculture.
We are currently looking to hire two passionate and qualified Collective Garden Facilitators to run weekly garden sessions in our collective gardens. The position is for 27 hours/week, for a 32 week contract.
Collective garden facilitator
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
- Lead collective garden sessions:
- Facilitate the social dynamic of garden sessions. This includes ensuring the physical, mental, and emotional safety of garden members, supporting democratic processes, encouraging knowledge and social exchanges between participants;
- Understand and be willing to develop your knowledge about the technical aspects of ecological horticulture and vegetable production, and ensure the ecological production of produce in the gardens;
- Share knowledge and promote our values of urban agriculture and ecological gardening methods, food security and food sovereignty, healthy living habits, and environmental stewardship;
- Create and reinforce links between gardeners of diverse backgrounds and abilities, the Depot Community Food Centre, and the community;
- Assist in the logistical and planning aspects of gardens
- Maintain communication with community partners, the team and the supervisor as needed
- Participate in team meetings, workshops, and other organizational events
- Collect information related to the collective garden program, including comments and testimonials from members, and write end-of-season reports.
Qualifications & Experience
- Experience in animation and group facilitation (including conflict resolution, non-violent communication, balancing diverse needs of participants);
- Experience in ecological fruit and vegetable production and interest in learning new techniques;
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills in spoken English and French;
- Have a valid driver’s licence and be comfortable driving a truck;
- Have a cellphone to be used during working hours;
- Be available for the entire duration of the contract (March 30hd to November 6th, 2020).
- Is in good physical condition to do indoor and outdoor physical labour and is able to lift up to 40lbs;
- Highly motivated, proactive and able to work independently and in collaboration with colleagues;
- Knows how to problem solve and prioritize tasks;
- Good written communication skills in either French or English;
- Besides French and English, speaks other languages (particularly Spanish, Persian, Mandarin, Arabic languages);
- Comfortable using office computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Google Drive;
- Any experience with simple building and fixing;
- Has a strong interest in community work, and be comfortable in multi-cultural and intergenerational environments;
- Is passionate about urban agriculture and the food security movement;
- Has a bicycle and is comfortable riding in the city.
- From March 30th to April 10th the schedule will be from Monday to Friday;
- From April 14th through the end of the contract, the work schedule will change. Garden sessions are held during the daytime and the evening.
- Please be prepared to work evenings and weekends as part of your regular hours.
1 position at 27 hours per week, for 32 weeks — 4 Working days:
- Post 1: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday
- Post 2: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
- $17/hour, salaried;
- Contract start: March 30th, 2020;
- Contract end: November 6th, 2020;
- The employee receives paid vacation (4%), sick days and personal days, during contract;
- The employee will receive regular organic produce from the gardens;
- The employee will participate in CPR training and receive a certification.
Questions about the jobs or the application process?
Please contact Carole-Anne Lapierre at firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-483-4680 x220
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter by email to:
Marguerite Kinfack at email@example.com
Application & hiring process:
- Deadline to apply: Thursday February 27th, 2020 at 5pm.
- Period to contact candidates: As of Wednesday March 3th, 2020
- Interview period: As of March 4th, 2020
- Contract start : March 30th, 2020
- Only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.
TIPS FOR APPLYING! In your cover letter, we want to hear:
- Who you are and what your background is. The NDG Food Depot is committed to creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve and thus strongly encourages applicants from our diverse communities and people who experience marginalization to self-identify in their cover letter.
- What you like about the Depot Community Food Centre and why you want to work in this job. We want to make sure you understand our mission and our values. Tell us why you think this job is interesting and important.
- What your experience is. Have you worked in similar jobs or have you volunteered in similar programs before? Tell us what skills you gained and how your experience would help you in this job. If there’s experience you don’t have, be honest and tell us how you hope to grow and learn.
- Be yourself! We want to hear your voice and enthusiasm!
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.