Position: Market Assistant
Organization: Marchés d'Ottawa Markets
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
The Markets Assistants assist the Markets Management Team in the operation and promotion of its two outdoor markets (ByWard and Parkdale Markets) by supporting and performing a variety of front-line administrative and operational duties on a part-time or full-time basis.
Based on individual backgrounds, specific projects and tasks will be assigned to enhance their work experience and to provide an opportunity for professional development.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Monitors market activities and identifies situations that may require a response, especially with respect to safety and security.
- Assists in the allocation and preparation of daily and monthly stand permits, including assistance with the annual renewal process.
- Provides ongoing assistance and support to market vendors.
- Staffing of the Market Information Table(s) at both markets, in support of vending activities and in response to information inquiries.
- Assists in the organization, preparation and running of special events and promotional activities, including planning and liaising with various groups or individuals, preparing documents, set-up and take-down, as well as follow-up notes, reports and correspondence.
- Attends to market cleanliness and performs regular litter control as part of the scheduled work activities.
- Provides assistance in emergencies, as situations arise. Records and reports issues / incidents to management or responsible authorities.
- Performs daily and monthly cash / credit / debit-handling, including collection of prescribed permit fees and purchases, as well as reconciliation and preparation of cash receipt summaries and deposits.
- Reviews new application packages for completeness and required documentation, and processes application fees.
- Performs clerical tasks and duties including: word processing (letter, memos, reports, tables, graphs, merges, minutes), creating and modifying spreadsheets, copying, distributing, filing, inventory / supply ordering, directs phone / e-mail / two-way radio communications and is responsible for vendor data input, retrieval, compilation and updates on database system.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the duties outlined above
Summary of Qualifications
- Able to demonstrate a high level of customer service skills
- Self-motivated team player, who works well with minimal supervision
- Able to take initiative and to demonstrate good judgment in responding to situations
- Aptitude to understand and explain market specific information (by-laws, vending policies, applications, procedures, allocation)
- Experience with cash handling procedures & practices
- Operational skills and familiarity with health & safety practices
- General knowledge of tourism-related information and familiarity with local destinations and attractions
- Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Basic First Aid considered an asset
- Minimum of one (1) year of related experience is required
- Speaking (fluent), reading and/or writing ability in English;
- Speaking (fluent), reading and/or writing ability in French;
- Other languages, will also be considered an asset
- The market is open seven (7) days a week and requires staffing between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Both full- and part-time positions available (3)
Please e-mail your resume and a brief covering letter to:
subject: Market Assistant
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.
*Email: The e-mail address above has been masked to prevent spam. Please copy the address or type it manually, add the @ sign, remove “mask” and any spaces.