Home | Job Postings
Position: General Manager
Organization: Cowichan Green Community
Location: Duncan, BC
Overview: Cowichan Green Community (CGC) envisions a food secure Cowichan nourished by our connection to food, our environment and each other. All CGC’s programming share a vision of building community through healthy food. The General Manager’s (GM) role is to help guide the mission of cultivating, food, community, and resilience. The GM will report directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for CGCs consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. This position will manage the day to day operations and supervise staff.
Duties: The General Manager will be accountable for the following:
- Staffing: responsible for the creation and updating of job descriptions, recruitment, training, and release of personnel, as well as daily supervision of approximately 25 full-time, part-time, contract staff and interns.
- Direct Reports: conduct weekly check-ins, keeping the ED apprised of any issues or concerns as they arise.
- Volunteers: oversee and support volunteer coordinator in recruiting and vetting volunteers for projects.
- Management Team: strong member of the management team, supporting other team members and acting as back-up to the ED as necessary.
- Performance Reviews: conduct all reviews, three month, annual, and as required, for all staff including exit interviews.
- Budgets: assist in developing and maintaining sound financial practices including all aspects of the budget, financial reporting, and banking
- Funding: assist with applying for grants and sourcing funding for CGC’s core costs and projects, including office space, supplies, salaries, and other expenses.
- Fundraisers: oversee ongoing fundraising events, take an active role in CGC’s fund development committee including supporting the development of a sponsorship package.
- Membership: oversee membership campaigns.
- Executive Director: keep fully informed on the condition of CGC and all associated projects etc.
- General Public: oversee publishing quarterly enewsletters, ensure website is up to date, and send out email updates, media releases, etc as required.
- Profile: increase awareness in the community, ongoing media releases, articles in publications, scheduled social media posts, etc.
- Existing projects: ensure current projects are finalized including budgets and reporting as required.
- Other projects: assist with sourcing funding, to help plan and implement future projects
Experience and Knowledge Required:
- Diploma or Degree in Human Resources Management or equivalent post-secondary education
- Minimum 7 – 10 years office management experience
- Minimum 3 – 5 years human resources experience
- Minimum 5 years community non-profit organization experience.
- Working knowledge of Quickbooks required
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Social Media platforms
- Website and database experience, required
- Knowledge and understanding of food security an asset
- Eligibility for Wage Subsidy an asset.
- Adaptability: Demonstrate an ability to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while remaining effective and efficient.
- Relationship Building: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communication: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to engage people in the community process and to share the CGC accomplishments.
- Organizational Skills: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, and monitor progress towards goals. Track details, data, information, and activities.
- Problem Solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations to the ED and/or resolve the problem.
- This position will work at the CGC offices for the majority of the time and occasional off location as required.
- This position is a salaried position based on 35 hours per week including occasional evenings and weekends. Compensation tied to experience.
- This position will be subject to a three month probationary period.
- This position will be a one year contract which may be extended based on performance.
To apply, please e-mail your resume and covering letter to:
subject: General Manager
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Sep 23 2019