Fresh Start Edibles @ Affinity Farms — Cowichan Bay, BC
** We are looking for 1 full time Permaculture Intern for April to October, 2017 **
Position: Permaculture Intern
Type: f/t internship with accom., food; financial renumeration & hours to be discussed (see below)
Organization: Fresh Start Edibles @ Affinity Farm
Location: Duncan (Cowichan Valley), British Columbia
Affinity Farms is a unique, beyond organic, permaculture farm in Cowichan Bay on south Vancouver Island.
We are seeking Interns that are self-motivated and dedicated with a strong work ethic. There are many aspects on this new farm that we require help with such as building raised beds, planting, harvesting and packaging berries and veggies, weeding, pruning, composting, maintanance, etc...
Affinity Farms, Guesthouse and Nature Sanctuary is located where the Cowichan River meets the Salish Sea in Cowichan Bay in the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, in beautiful British Columbia. The property is 26 acres in the heart of the Cowichan River estuary, 10 acres is behind a dyke and 16 acres outside the dyke.
The property is currently utilized as a wedding destination, and summer weekends are booked full with happy couples. The farm side of the property is being developed to include 2-3 acres of fruit, berries, two intensive market gardens as well as a greenhouse. Our climate allows for year-round growing > we grow food seasonally to sell at our on-site FarmStand, to local residents in a small CSA (Customer Supported Agriculture), and a local businesses.
We are in the community of Cowichan Bay, which is a south of Nanaimo and Duncan, and 45 minutes north of Victoria on the eastern side of Vancouver Island. We are surrounded by water, mountains, fresh country air, an amazing variety of birds and other wildlife. We are close to shopping, hiking, kayaking, walking and beaches. We supply bicycles with local cycling information and encourage our volunteers to spend their days off exploring all the Cowichan Region has to offer... we are well known for our wineries, artists, artisans, small farms and fresh, local food.
We offer deluxe accommodation on the top floor of a newly renovated beautiful barn. The Affinity Loft accommodates up to 4-6 people with four, self-contained bedrooms which includes a bed, linens, table, electic plug, and storage. The main living part of the loft includes full bathroom, full kitchen, and common area with an amazing view! We provide internet access, bicycles and laundry facilities. Interns are expected to respect the property, living area and their room mates, and maintain a clean and tidy space at all times so the experience at Affinity is enjoyable for all.
Interns must be self sufficient, able to cook and clean up after themselves and live in community with people from other countries, working together to create a harmonious living arrangement for all. Weekly groceries keep the fridge full, supplemented by fresh garden produce, fruit and herbs that we teach you how to harvest. We will also have regular meals together sharing traditional dishes. A great opportunity to practice your cooking skills, and enjoy food from other countries!
Interns will work alongside Hosts and Affinity Farm Managers Diana and David Pink. We use Permaculture principles and grow food year round in our Mediterranean climate. We enjoy sharing our knowledge of growing sustainable healthy food all year ‘the natural way’ with our helpers to inspire, foster and encourage their personal relationship with food.
In exchange for clean and cozy accommodation plus regular fresh food, we request that you provide a minimum of 35-40 hours per week of farm labour, daily from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm with one hour for lunch, volunteers have two days off per week to explore the Island. ** (Financial renumeration and hours to be discussed with each applicant).
Please bring clothing appropriate for living in a temperate rain forest climate ie: good footwear (rubber boots, walking and/or working shoes), outdoor wear, a rain coat, sunglasses, hat, etc. The weather changes frequently here sometimes, and we work thru it if need be... please come to the farm prepared for all weather work.
As a working farm, we have many on-going projects we would like help with. During your stay with us and depending upon the season, you will participate in some or most aspects of food planting, growing and harvesting including but not limited to:
• field preparation, soil amendment, lasagna bed building, seeding, transplanting, weeding irrigation installation, weeding, mulching, planting
• assistance with daily harvesting and processing of food harvest for farmgate sales and farrmers’ market
• compost building, turning and distribution
• weeding, weed-whacking, general lawncare and property maintenance
• berry picking, pruning, harvesting, mulching, trellising, weeding, raking
• greenhouse planting, propagating, harvesting
• seasonal property preparation and maintenance
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Prior farm-related work experience, and ability to meet the daily needs of farming while enjoying the day and the projects at hand
• Happy, friendly and outgoing
• Physically fit and capable of working outdoors in all weather
• Reliable, diligent and able to work at a quick pace in an efficient manner
• Strong work ethic, positive attitude, adaptable, organized and dependable
• A teachable self starter who follows directions well, and asks questions when unclear about instructions
• Ability to balance efficiency and thoroughness in all tasks
• Excellent communication skills and ability to get along well with others
• Attention to detail, cleanliness and a good sense of aesthetics
• Ability to work well alone and as a cooperative team member
• An interest in learning how to grow food in a natural, beyond organic way
and a desire to share this knowledge with others to further the cause of self-sufficiency
• Peacefully co-exist with others in a shared living space as a cooperative room mate
• A strong desire to have fun!
Please be in touch via:
and include your resume and two references… Let us know why you are interested in this position and how you can contribute with your skills and experience to our operation at Affinity Farm.
Diana and David Pink, Fresh Start Edibles @ Affinity -- 5155 Samuel Road, Cowichan Bay, British Columbia V9L 6Y1 250 597-2102
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.
*Note: The e-mail address above has been masked to help prevent spam. Please copy the address and replace “mask” with @ .
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
FoodWork ID: 38071 Date posted to FoodWork.ca: Feb 6 2017