A Rocha Canada Brooksdale Environmental Centre
Position Title: A Rocha Market Manager
Organization: A Rocha Canada
Location: Brooksdale Environmental Centre, South Surrey, Greater Vancouver, BC
Note: This position will be partially funded by Eco Canada Youth Employment Placement Program grant, and is contingent on approval.
- Start Date: March 17, 2020 to December 19, 2020 with the possibility of extending part/full time through the winter months.
- Hours/Days Worked: Full time (5 days/wk; 35 hrs/wk; Tuesday to Saturday).
- Wage: $17.00 per hour
- Closing Date: February 29, 2019, or until the position has been filled.
A Rocha is an international Christian organization which, inspired by God’s love, engages in scientific research, environmental education, community-based conservation projects and sustainable agriculture. We envision the transformation of people and places by showing God’s love for all creation.
A Rocha Canada Brooksdale Environmental Centre is one of the most dynamic environmental centres in North America. Brooksdale’s 27-acre property is a living lab comprised of forests, a threatened river system, an organic farm, and heritage houses. This unique combination of sensitive wildlife habitat and agricultural land makes Brooksdale a place where critical environmental issues are researched, addressed, and solved.
The A Rocha Market Manager works in collaboration with the Program Development Manager to oversee the A Rocha Market. The A Rocha Market is a farm and gift shop, selling seasonal produce from our 3.5 acre Brooksdale Farms, other locally produced fruits and vegetables, and sustainably and ethically sourced gifts. We may be adding a small coffee shop cafe for the 2020 season.
Reports directly to the Program Development Manager and works in collaboration with the Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager. Provide supervision and instruction to Sustainable Agriculture and Sales Assistant, Program Interns and Volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for all aspects of market management and sales, including market set-up and break-down, cashiering and cashing out, market aesthetics, and product inventory and ordering.
- Maintain and develop new sales infrastructure, including market signage, tables and stands, and point of sales program operation.
- Ensure proper record keeping for sales data.
- Develop and promote market sales through advertising channels, Wordpress, and social media outlets.
- Develop and deliver market marketing plan.
- Responsible for weekly market e-newsletter, including produce list, featured vendor, and recipe.
- Maintain clear communication channels between A Rocha and market clientele.
- Communicating with vendors/suppliers, including developing new vendor relationships.
- Train and supervise Program Interns and Volunteers.
- Work in collaboration with Brooksdale staff for other onsite activities as needed.
Work takes place indoors and outdoors at Brooksdale Environmental Centre. The Market Manager is required to work in all weather conditions. Work in extreme weather conditions may be required. Long working hours may also be required for special events and on other occasions. Shared indoor office space is provided at Brooksdale, though the A Rocha Market Manager will be required to communicate with other Brooksdale staff to avoid space conflicts.
Qualifications and Skills
- At least one year of small store/business management experience, including all aspects of inventory management and sales.
- At least two years/sale seasons and/or customer service experience, preferably within the food and/or agricultural sector and/or small gift shop industry.
- Social media and/or advertising experience and/or Wordpress experience, including digital design and delivery.
- Experience developing market plans and sales goals.
- Experience in diversified vegetable production (preferably organic) an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of food literacy an asset.
- Experience as a barista an asset.
- Small business literacy, and understanding of the dynamics of social enterprise an asset.
- Experience working within the not-for-profit sector an asset.
- Food Safe Level 1 certification, or a willingness to do so.
- First Aid and CPR certifications an asset.
- Demonstrated embodiment of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values.
- Demonstrated leadership experience; able to comfortably make decisions and execute tasks in a diverse and dynamic working environment.
- High level point of sales and money handling skills, preferable with Square point of sale.
- High level inventory management skills.
- High level communication (verbal/written), facilitation, and interpersonal skills; able to work both independently and within a high-energy team environment; able to resolve interpersonal conflicts professionally; excellent collaboration and group leadership skills.
- Intermediate level small business marketing language concerning terms such as local, organic, and fair trade.
- High level food literacy knowledge, including general horticultural production, local and organic food concepts and vocabulary, and food preparation.
- High level Microsoft Office and/or Google suit experience, as well as Facebook, Instagram, and Mailchimp experience and/or other social media platforms.
- Strong organizational skills; able to identify and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision, work independently, and take initiative.
- Must be physically fit, able to lift 50lbs.
- Ability to work quickly, efficiently and calmly in high-stress settings for long hours in any weather and bring tasks to completion on time.
- Knowledge and articulation of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values.
- This position will be partially funded by Eco Canada Youth Employment Placement Program, and is contingent on approval.
- While all qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will be considered, applicants 30 years of age or younger will be prioritized pending Eco Canada Youth Employment Placement Program grant funding.
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations; and,
- obtain a Criminal Record Background and Vulnerable Sector check.
How to Apply
Email, as a single PDF document, a cover letter and resume clearly detailing your experience and qualifications for this position to Ryan Weemhoff: email@example.com
Ensure your email subject line clearly refers to the A Rocha Market Manager position.
Ensure your name and position title are included in the PDF file name.
The application intake period will close on Saturday, February, 29 2020, or until the position has been filled.
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Please no phone calls or emails.
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.