Home | Job Postings
Job Title: Green Community Animator (9 weeks)
Type: summer job / age 30 & under
Organization: Riverdale Immigrant Women's Centre
Location: Greenwood & Gerrard, East End Toronto, Ontario
Riverdale Immigrant Women’s Centre (RIWC) is a non-profit community-based immigrant women’s organization committed to the empowerment of women.
Riverdale Hub is looking for a Green Community Animator who has gardening knowledge in growing organic crops, composting, vertical gardening, developing plants from seeds, and maximizing yield to assist us in:
- Our year-round Women in the Garden (WIG) project and Food Service & Hospitality Training (FSHT) program
- The maintenance of our rooftop and rainwater garden by introducing new crops and plants
- Working with existing field placement students and volunteers on the project and program
- Outreach with other gardening and environmental groups
- Writing weekly reports and keeping participant attendance
- Collaborating with our onsite vegan café
- Maintaining our seed library
- Ordering supplies and produce
- Keeping track of waste and recycle organics for the rooftop garden
- Supporting catering events
- Be between the ages of 15 to 30 at the start of employment
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada; International Students are not eligible to apply due to Canada Summer Jobs 2019 funding agreement
- Have the ability to work with diverse populations and support in the growth of organic crops used by different ethnic communities
- Have knowledge of and concern about food security issues for marginalized groups
- Understanding and knowledge of anti-oppression, anti-racism frameworks
- The ability to assist in cooking and baking by using the crops grown in our garden
- Interest in café/barista, vegan baking/cooking experience an asset
- Social media experience required
- Have post-secondary education or training in either Environmental Studies, Food Security, Urban Planning, Community Development, or related field/experience.
Please reply with a cover letter and resume to:
No phone calls, please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: May 2 2019