Home | Job Postings | Volunteer
Position: Community Agriculture Project Scholar
Type: volunteer with food, transport, accommodation, more (see below)
Organization: GVI Fiji
Location: Dawasamu, Fiji, South Pacific
Start Date: Currently Recruiting
Contract Type: 6 months, Unpaid Volunteer Staff (Scholar)
Hub: Dawasamu / Caqalai
Category: Community Development
Job Type: Field Operations
GVI Fiji is currently seeking a passionate, dedicated and hard-working Community Agriculture Project Scholar to join our team. Global Vision International is an award-winning global volunteer network that utilises local and international volunteers to design and implement community support initiatives throughout Fiji.
- Candidates must be willing and able to relocate to GVI’s remote and rustic base of operations in a rural village setting in the Dawasamu region of Fiji’s main island, Viti Levu.
- The Successful candidate will be based full time on GVI’s base of operations.
- Regular rotations/transport to Suva provided.
Duration: 6 months pending 1-month probation period with good opportunity for extension and transition into longer term, stipend provided role.
- Managing teams of up to 6 volunteers to achieve project objectives
- Pick up and induction of new volunteers including logistics and delivery of presentations
- Mentoring volunteers on base ensuring adherence to health and safety protocols, respect of cultural practices and completion of base chores
- Updating project materials, incident reports and social media
- Project Management: long term objective setting, weekly schedules, planning project delivery and logistics
- Creating research surveys and methods of needs assessment that are unbiased and representative of all community members
- Leading volunteers to complete research surveys across multiple villages and reducing ‘investigator effects’ through guidance
- Ongoing monitoring and evaluation of projects including data collection and report writing
- Leading volunteers to plan and lead lessons and workshops that are effective, participatory and enjoyable
- Leading and facilitating workshops that are culturally appropriate within the tribal structures of the village, including youth workshops guided by the key principles of youth work.
- Ensuring all lessons and workshops achieve high retention rates
- Producing high quality lesson plans, resource packs and training sessions that are replicable to other regions and GVI bases
- Construction and maintenance of facilities such as nurseries/frames for vegetable beds
- Networking both regionally and nationally to build rapport and achieve joint objectives
- Empowering local people to become Community Partners as a priority and promoting their leadership in the region
- Agriculture knowledge in growing vegetables /fruits to be used on a small and large scale - Kitchen Garden/Plantation. Working alongside local community members sharing knowledge.
- A keen interest in agriculture, organic gardens, permaculture and nutrition, particularly in rural communities.
- Relevant past experience including:
- Past expedition style work experience
- A background in agriculture, plantation/crop management, nutrition and wellbeing, small scale organic gardening and vegetable production.
- Past volunteer or volunteer management work experience
- Past experience in remote locations and working closely with local communities
Our program here is based in the Dawasamu District on Viti Levu, remote and known for its proximity to Moon Reef and its resident pod of Spinner Dolphins. Operating out of the rural village of Silana, this is a perfect location to experience true Fijian life, in an amazing region defined by jungle, volcanic mountainsides and the tribal culture of Tailevu Province.
- This is an unpaid volunteer role, with the possibility to develop into a longer-term position with inclusive stipend.
- All food, relevant in-country transport, and accommodation provided
- Medical/Travel Insurance provided.
- In-country training and skill development to align with GVI's stringent standards
- Good opportunities of promotion within our international organisation
- 4 weeks paid holiday per annum pro rata
- Various opportunities for professional development, certifications and training
- In-country assistance and costs for visa application
- GVI Fiji does not cover flights to/from Fiji
Please contact fiji gviworld.com* if you feel you are a suitable, interested candidate!
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.
*Note: The e-mail address above has been masked to help prevent spam. Please copy the address and replace “mask” with @ .
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
FoodWork ID: 41226
Date posted to FoodWork.ca: Jul 6 2017