Position: Café Associate
Organization: Riverdale Hub: Social Gardener Café
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Riverdale Hub is a social enterprise in Toronto’s East End that houses the Social Gardener Café, Riverdale Gallery, co-working and event spaces, and a rooftop garden. The Social Gardener Café is focused on providing our customers with healthy & affordable vegan and gluten-free meals whether they are just stopping in for a coffee or planning a large catered event. Be a part of an organization that promotes inclusivity, sustainability and community through our many programs and practices.
The Café Associate not only shares our values, but is creative, versatile, and passionate about sustainability, food security and community. The incumbent will assist with the daily operations of the café and in-house and online market.
Social Gardener Café:
- Prepare and serve menu orders (e.g., vegan wraps, salads, baked goods, hot beverages, and smoothies) and process payments.
- Assist with cafe & catering menu creation and updates as well as food costing.
- Assist the Café Manager to document food wastage.
- Ensure all food scraps are placed properly in Bokashi system and all products are properly recycled so that we are close to a zero-waste kitchen.
- Assist Café Manager with the supervision and training of Food Service & Hospitality Training (FSHT) program participants in food handling and the preparation of menu items.
- Assist Cafe Manager in the training of new employees.
- Ensure all safe food handling standards and procedures are followed.
- Ensure stock levels are maintained and properly organized, following inventory control best practices.
- Ensure pantry & display fridge are restocked.
- Maintain and update food delivery & takeout apps (UberEats, DoorDash, Skip the Dishes, Ritual).
- Maintain and update POS with new product/menu items.
- Monitor equipment and arrange for repairs and maintenance as necessary with Cafe Manager.
- Ensure tidiness and organization of Cafe and surrounding spaces.
- Update the signage (on Sundays).
Product Development & Campaigns:
- Participate in the brainstorming of product development ideas for campaigns, ordering of product items, and coordination of campaign orders.
- Participate in recipe development/testing for campaigns under the direction of the cafe manager.
- Arrange products for photography.
- Ensure timely ordering of supplies (ingredients and packaging).
- Assist with campaign outreach efforts.
In-Store & Online Market:
- Prepare speciality grocery items for the market from the rooftop garden produce and suppliers (e.g., fudgesicles, kimchi, pesto, pickled carrots and cucumbers, hot sauce, vegan gluten-free baked goods, etc.).
- Harvest, dehydrate (as needed), and package fresh produce from the rooftop garden for the market.
- Process in-store and online orders and arrange for shipping or pick-up.
- Ensure supplies (ingredients and packaging) are replenished.
Social Media & Marketing:
- Provide regular content (visual & written) to Marketing Coordinator and Website Developer for newsletter, social media platforms, and website.
- Assist in marketing and social media activities to promote the cafe, campaigns, and market.
- Monitor and respond to customer reviews (Google Business, UberEats, DoorDash, Skip the Dishes, Ritual).
- Maintain relationships with our regular customers to obtain product feedback and encourage them to rate us on google.
- Maintain relationships with suppliers (e.g., Bondi, Costco, Greenshift, Velvet Sunrise, Kitimai, etc.), including local shops from which we source spices, etc.
- Design, format, update and print product labels and recipe instruction cards.
- Attend and contribute to weekly Marketing meetings.
- Harvest vegetables and herbs as needed.
- Grow micro greens and winter crops for the kitchen.
- Water indoor plants.
- Liaise with Toronto Seed Library representative(s) to ensure library is always well stocked with seeds & informational materials.
- Ensure all COVID-19 safety and disinfecting standards and procedures are followed.
- Attend and contribute to weekly Cafe meetings.
- Provide building tours, as requested.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, move product, equipment and supplies (e.g., patio furniture, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2+ years of café/pop-up market experience in the front and back of house.
- Barista and baking experience is a must.
- Knowledge of pickling and canning.
- Graduate from a Food and Hospitality program.
- Possess a valid Food Handler’s certificate.
- Marketing & communications skills/experience are an asset.
- Preliminary graphic design skills are an asset (Canva, Photoshop etc.)
- Familiarity with Touch Bistro POS, social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Google Business), and food delivery apps (Ritual One, Door Dash, Skip the Dishes, Uber Eats).
- Ability to follow recipes.
- Motivation to follow through on projects and bring forward new ideas to advance the cafe and pop-up market.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team, as well as independently.
- Ability to manage multiple demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office, G-Suite).
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.