Position: Lakeview Farmers' Market Manager
Organization: CreativeHub 1352
Location: Mississauga, GTA, Ontario
The CreativeHub 1352 (“The Hub”) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the development of a unique creative hub for the community at the Small Arms Inspection Building (SAIB) and surrounding area. We deliver a mix of arts, heritage and environmental programs, projects, education and events. The Hub’s Lakeview Farmers’ Market (“The Market”) is one of our important programs which fosters collaboration, supports locally grown food, engages the community and enriches people’s lives.
The Hub is seeking a talented seasonal Farmers’ Market Manager who:
- Cares about their community;
- Shares the interest and values of sustainability and local food production;
- Is innovative and flexible in their ability to achieve the organization’s goals.
The purpose of the Lakeview Farmers’ Market is to enrich lives by providing access to locally grown and sourced healthy food, organic and artisanal products and to provide an income opportunity for local farmers, producers and artisans.
The Market operates outdoors adjacent to the historical Small Arms Inspection Building (SAIB) located at 1352 Lakeshore Road East in Mississauga on Sundays from May 30 – October 10, 2021. SAIB is owned and operated by the City of Mississauga.
The CreativeHub 1352 Market planning team is looking for an individual who has outstanding relationship building skills, is positive, collaborative, full of new ideas and motivated to work hard to ensure access to local food in the area. The role of the Market Manager is to ensure the Market operates efficiently. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Managing vendor scheduling, booth/layout assignment, collection of fees and implementation and adherence to the Market’s vendor policies;
- Liaising with the Hub’s Market Committee to ensure the ongoing planning, design and smooth operations of the Market;
- Ensuring the Market meets and maintains all regional and municipal health, safety and operation regulations.
- Managing budget/bookkeeping activities and procurement and distribution of resources for the Market.
- Maintaining existing relationships and building new relationships with vendors and the Market community.
- Leading on-site communication with staff, vendors, volunteers, customers and neighbours.
- Maintaining ongoing communication with the Hub staff, City representatives and the Market Committee.
- Supporting the CreativeHub 1352 Volunteer Director in the recruitment and training of volunteers at the Market.
- Maintaining records of equipment and inventory of merchandise.
- Liaising with event and activity leaders to enhance the Market experience for visitors. (i.e., community booths, entertainment, special activities etc.)
- Ensuring standards for special services for market-goers are coordinated and are properly accounted for with space and equipment (e.g., bike valet, accessibility)
- Attending Market Committee meetings as required and prepare monthly reports on the Market’s progress.
- Preparing feedback and participant surveys to monitor customer service and client preferences.
- Undertaking other duties as required.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Interact positively with vendors and maintain excellent vendor relations;
- Manage the collection of fees, maintain budgets, basic record keeping and bookkeeping;
- Organize and plan on site event logistics (set-up/take-down);
- Communicate clearly and diplomatically with a variety of volunteers and stakeholders;
- Assist with planned events and activities to enhance the Market experience;
- Enforce Market policies and contribute to changes in policies via the Market Committee;
- Oversee event and food safety procedures, either through the completion of Market sale or food safety training (Food Handler Certificate);
- Implement various rules and regulations affecting farmers’ Markets and sale of food;
- Use computer skills (Excel, Word, Social Media) and ideally set up Vendor scheduling software such as “Manage My Market”;
- Have a clear understanding and commitment to the vision, mandate and philosophy of the Market.
Education & Certification
- Completion of a college or university program preferred, ideally with courses in any of the following: event planning, administration, management, marketing, retail management, agriculture, food services, communications and/or community engagement.
- Food Security Certificate an asset.
- Experience as a Farmers’ Market Manager or assistant, with a community organization and/or non profit an asset.
- Connections with the local community and/or farm/food vendors an asset.
- Experience managing part-time staff and volunteers in a service or retail operation.
- Experience coordinating events including planning logistics, delegating tasks and communicating with stakeholders.
From April to October 22, 2021, up to 16 hours per week including Sundays 7am-3:00pm during the Market season from May 30 – October 10, 2021
To apply, please e-mail your resume and a brief covering letter to:
subject: Lakeview Farmers' Market Manager
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.