Home | Job Postings | Local Food Jobs
HALIFAX LOCAL FOOD
Hiring: Farmer's Market Manager
Organization: Novalea Market Cooperative
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Working for the Novalea Farmers’ Market Co-operative, the Novalea Market Manager will be the principal contact and manager of one weekly outdoor farmers’ markets.
Working under the direction the volunteer Board of Directors, the candidate will:
- Market management
- Arrive early and stay late on market days, ensuring smooth execution of the markets including, when necessary, the physical labour of setup and teardown
- Coordinate with landlords at market site
- Vendor management
- Liaise with established vendors, ensuring their needs are met
- Recruit and support new market vendors
- Collect and deposit market vendor dues
- Volunteer management:
- Execute a recruitment campaign with a smooth intake process for volunteers
- Maintain an organized database of volunteers for each location
- Train and schedule volunteers, including backups, weeks in advance of market days
- Train and manage volunteers with specific offsite tasks including marketing & promotion, maintenance, storage and transport of market resources (tents, tables, signage)
- Work with the Treasurer and Bookkeeper to maintain financial transaction records
- Work with public health inspectors to ensure public safety related to food safety.
- Oversee marketing efforts, including social media, print, and media contacts
- Coordinate with local community groups with a focus of accessibility on local foods
- Propose and establish new initiatives for growing the customer base
- Work with Farmer’s Markets of Nova Scotia for marketing, grant, and technical support
Skills & Qualifications
- Familiar with and excited about local food systems and, ideally, farmers’ markets
- Organized and punctual
- Excellent communication skills both in-person and electronically
- Able to engage cheerfully with volunteers, vendors and the public
- Able to delegate tasks to volunteers
- Able to lift and move pop-up tents and tables
- Outdoors during markets, in all weather conditions
- Extended periods standing
Hours and remuneration
- 30hrs/week @ $15/hr
- 7am-1pm Saturdays
- 24hrs flexible for administrative tasks
The position begins mid-May, and runs for 16 weeks. However markets run June 4th until October 31st, 2022 and so there may be an option to extend the contract at reduced hours in September/October.
Please e-mail your resume and a brief covering letter to:
subject: Farmer's Market Manager
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: May 11 2022