Home | Job Postings | Local Food Jobs
LOCAL, ORGANIC & WASTE-FREE FOOD
Position: General Manager
Organization: Karma Co-operative Inc
Location: Palmerston Ave, Toronto (short walk from Bathurst Subway Station)
Karma Food Co-op is one of Ontario’s oldest food co-ops located in Toronto’s Seaton Village.
It is a member-owned, democratically run organization offering a wide variety of local, organic and waste free grocery options. As we turn 50 this year, we are engaged in a process of renewal and recovery from the impacts of COVID. We are seeking an experienced grocery manager with excellent merchandizing, inventory, staff training/mentorship, and relationship and financial management skills.
The General Manager (GM) is responsible for the successful operations of the food co-operative, and works within the policies and direction set by the board of directors. The GM is responsible for overseeing staff and the successful delivery of services aligning with the best interests of the membership. The GM must oversee the financial reporting, acting as ex-officio on the board of directors. The GM must be able to make recommendations on policy and process and problem-solve under pressure.
- To represent the co-operative and carry on its operations, supporting its growth and recovery from COVID-19.
- To efficiently allocate the co-operative’s human, financial, and material resources to successfully meet the co-operative’s mission.
- The GM will carry on the business of the co-operative under the direction set by the board of directors and will act on the board’s behalf in all matters related to the co-operative’s operations.
- The GM will be the highest authority among staff, overseeing contractors and consultants within the co-operative.
- The GM is accountable to the Board of Directors to achieve the goals of the Co-operative including:
- Development and delivery of the co-operative’s services
- Promotion of the co-operative and its products
- Maintaining human resources, finances, and evaluation records
- Overseeing customer service and membership engagement
- Communication among the membership
- Budgeting and financial reporting
- Compliance with relevant legislation and all regulations
- Strategy development and policy recommendations
- Support for the Board of Directors
- The GM must develop good working relationships with the following stakeholders:
- The Board of Directors ex-officio
- The co-operative’s membership
- Consultants or contractors
- The Media
- Relevant support organizations
- Relevant government departments
- Key markets
- The Manager must have skills in the following areas:
- Stakeholder engagement
- Financial management
- Human resources management
- Strategic planning
- Expertise in marketing and sales for food co-ops
- Reporting to a board of directors
- Proficiency in these areas will be highly valued:
- Public relations and communications
- Understanding of co-operative businesses
- Knowledge and understanding of unionized workplaces and Collective Agreements
- Grocery standard practices i.e. inventory management and merchandising, product mix and placement, etc.
- Various marketing platforms
- Networking and relationship building
- Conflict resolution
- Salary range is $55,000-$70,000 based on education, training and experience.
- In addition we offer a comprehensive benefits package, four weeks’ vacation and a 25% store discount.
- Forward CV and cover letter to Board of Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.
- Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
- Karma Co-op is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, ability or age.
Note: The above is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: Jun 10 2022