EMPLOIS MONTREAL JOBS
Position: Head Grower
Company: Lufa Farms
Location: Montreal, Montréal, Laval, Quebec
The Head Grower oversees the production and implementation of cultivation strategies in coordination with the Plant Science manager. They develop and coordinate overall cultivation methods and evaluations, biological control strategies, and production assessments. The Head Grower meets with consultants and contacts specialists for cultivation recommendations. They also plan, manage, and oversee Research and Development and trials, under the supervision of the Plant Science Manager.
- Supervise assistant growers;
- Supervise all plant science activities, such as data gathering for climate, irrigation, scouting (e.g. crop changes), forecasting, and merchandising;
- In the interest of quality and time efficiency, following best practices.
- Train assistant growers and ensure task quality is maintained and efficiency improves. Responsible for their development within the role;
- Regularly inspect greenhouses for plant health and site performance;
- Perform HR activities for assistant growers in conjunction with management, including hiring, firing, and team member reviews;
- Schedule regular check-ins and evaluations with the team to assess performance and maintain motivation.
- Biocontrols: Manage biological control programs, including data analysis, introduction scheduling, and requirements, as well as overall annual planning and budget tracking;
- Climate: Manage and monitor climate requirements and settings for all crops, including Argus checks and setpoints;
- Irrigation: Manage and monitor irrigation requirements and settings for all systems, including Argus checks and setpoints;
- Solutions: Manage and monitor stock solution formulations and recirculation, including stock preparation;
- Crop checks: Perform crop inspections, gather necessary growth data, and establish plant maintenance methods and overall cultivation strategy, with the Plant Science and Operations teams;
- Crop planning: Manage crop schedule, crop changes, seed and plant orders, propagation, and planting specs as required;
- Production forecasts: Responsible for assessing production, estimating and reporting harvest quantities and inventory;
- Research and Development: Execute annual projects and trial outlines, including experimental design and documentation. Conduct and manage research projects and trials. Own and analyze data from projects and trials;
- Investigate and improve current cultivation strategies and annual crop requirements;
- Help the Plant Science Manager with merchandising duties, as required (occasionally on weekends);
- Support and implement upper management recommendations;
- Ultimately, through all of the above objectives, your main responsibility is to maximize yield and revenues from the site.
- At least three years of experience growing commercially in hydroponic greenhouses;
- At least two years of experience managing a team;
- Strong communication skills in both French and English;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented;
- Great work ethic and flexibility;
- Capable of walking, bending, and lifting for extended periods in a hot and humid environment;
- You must own a car and have a valid driver’s license.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in horticulture or plant science.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary to be determined based on experience and knowledge of the candidate;
- You’ll be eligible to participate in the firm’s health insurance, dental and disability programs after completion of the probationary period (paid 50% by the employee and 50% by Lufa Farms);
- Access to TELUS Health Virtual Care (direct contact to health professionals by phone, video, or chat) and the Employee and Family Assistance Program (professional, short-term counselling, covering a broad range of interpersonal issues);
- Discount on your Lufa Farms basket.
When you apply, be sure to include:
- Name of the position you’re applying for;
- Attach your CV (no longer than one page unless you have a compelling reason);
- Let us know what you’re looking for in terms of compensation.
Click here to apply: Lufa Careers | Head Grower, Montreal
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.
Our mission is to create a better food system. Every day, we deliver directly to our customers (a.k.a. Lufavores) thousands of food baskets filled with our rooftop-grown veggies. We meet this daily challenge with a vision: to create a better food system, encompassing our rooftop farms and local agriculture in all shapes and sizes. This means farming on rooftops in cities, partnering up with local farmers and food makers, and creating a community of pick-up points to deliver all this food as directly as possible.
Our rooftop farms
We built the world’s first commercial rooftop greenhouse on an industrial building in Montreal, Quebec, to prove that high-yield, year-round farming is a smarter, more sustainable, and commercially viable way to feed cities. Since then, we’ve built new and bigger and better rooftop greenhouses, to grow more and more vegetables.