FOOD PREP & KITCHEN JOBS
Positions: Production/Operations Support Staff 2021
Employer: Earth & City
Location: South Mississauga (near QEW & 427), GTA, Ontario
Earth + City is an exciting and innovative business in Toronto. It is our mission to enrich the health and sustainability of our local food community and economy.
We prepare healthy, plant-based food in tandem with the Ontario growing season.
All of our ingredients are thoughtfully chosen, with a focus on seasonal availability. Our produce is sourced from many regional farms, often purchased at our farmers’ markets. The pantry staples in our kitchen are gluten-free, mainly organic, and frequently ordered through local food vendors.
Earth & City Production/Operations Support Staff are the backbones of the Production and Operations Department. They are responsible for the daily responsibilities and functions of the following:
- Food preparation
- Kitchen responsibilities
- Packaging products
- Small inventory tasks
- Physical labour
The purpose of Production/Operations Support Staff is to produce all of the Earth & City recipes, both staple and seasonal. Their purpose is to support and maintain a functional, clean, and well operated kitchen space, following all public health guidelines. Their purpose is to support the Production and Wholesale/Operations Manager(s) in executing all responsibilities and functions.
Functions & Responsibilities
- Works alongside fellow Production/Operations Support Staff and Production and Wholesale/Operations Manager(s)
- Responsible for executing and completing various kitchen tasks and production requirements from the direction and facilitation of Production/Wholesale/Operations Manager(s)
- Kitchen tasks and production requirements include the following:
- Food Preparation (including ingredient preparation and recipe production for all production department streams - wholesale, market, online and catering),
- Kitchen Responsibilities (including opening and closing responsibilities, clean-up tasks and adhering to Public Health standards),
- Packaging Products (includes market packing, catering plating, working with labels and packaging, packing wholesale and online orders, itemization of products),
- Small Inventory Tasks (includes receiving and filing orders and deliveries, stocking shelves, bulk ingredient preparation) and,
- Physical Labour (includes helping pack up and load up for the markets, stocking shelves, being on your feet all day!)
- Encouraged to suggest creative and innovative flavours and ingredients to Production/General Manager(s) when applicable
- Responsible for ensuring quality of recipe production
- Responsible for reporting recipe and ingredient feedback and suggestions to Production/General Manager(s)
Reporting & Accountability
- Production/Operations Support Staff directly reports to Production and Wholesale/Operations Manager(s).
- Production/Operations Support Staff is accountable for executing tasks and responsibilities effectively, efficiently and in a respectful manner.
- To demonstrate an understanding of basic plant-based, gluten-free and naturally sweetened food and drink preparation
- To handle ingredients with care and work with recipes in an efficient and careful manner
- To get familiar with all the standard and seasonal Earth & City recipes
- To adapt and learn new and featured recipes quickly
- To demonstrate a well versed knowledge and understanding of all kitchen expectations and responsibilities
- To be able to function well and respectful in teams
- Able to achieve quality products by following recipes thoroughly
- Able to apply learning of plant-based, gluten-free, naturally-sweetened ingredients to contribute to production efficiency and effectiveness
- Able to function as a team-member during preparation hours
- Able to demonstrate initiative by supporting Production and Wholesale/Operations Manager(s) by understanding direction and expectations
Physical Requirements of the job include:
- Frequent standing and walking
- Repetition in production tasks (ex. hand forming cookies, macaroons, etc.)
- Occasional pushing, pulling, lifting up to 50lbs
Hourly Wage - $16-17 dependent on experience
Contract - May to October 2021 with possibility of extension
Fulltime - 40 hours/week - Need 2 staff - 1 x Monday-Friday (7:30am-3:30pm) and 1 x Wednesday-Saturday (7:30/8am-3:30-4pm)
Please email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. You will be contacted if we're interested in an interview. Virtual interviews will be scheduled.
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.