Position: Field Manager
Farm: Earth to Table: The Farm
Location: Millgrove, near Hamilton, Ontario (possibility for on-site accommodations)
Who We Are:
Earth to Table Farm is an organic vegetable and fruit farm specializing in wholesale produce for restaurants. On our four-acre production in Millgrove, Ontario we grow high quality vegetables (including salad greens, tomatoes, roots, edible flowers, and herbs) along with apples, some stone fruit, berries, and hay.
We’re committed to regenerative farming; transitioning towards minimal tillage, building soil organic matter, and growing on deep compost covered raised beds.
The farm is a fast-paced environment and an excellent place to learn and share skills with enthusiastic and knowledgeable team members. Our team is full of caring, dedicated employees, and we look forward to welcoming a new field manager to join in our regenerative agriculture mission.
The Field Manager is essential to the daily flow of agricultural operations, the coordination of farmers and their work activities, and the success of the field production.
The ideal candidate is organized and driven as this role is responsible for the efficient and effective management and execution of all field and market garden production, including soil health, pest management, quality control, forecasting and tracking yields, all while providing your team with the tools, training, and support needed to succeed.
- Manage day-to-day operations, daily decision making, scheduling, and planning, while upholding standards, product quality, and organization.
- Observe quality of each crop, trouble-shoot with farmers when necessary to find solutions to suffering plants and environmental challenges.
- Prepare and execute soil health action plan.
- Maintain supply inventory purchases of agricultural materials, and the handling of all perishable farm products.
- Create both long and short term budgeted financial goals.
- Prepare budget and monitor financial performance of agricultural operations, adjust as necessary to maintain profitability, efficiency, and to successfully achieve budgeted goals.
- Prepare crop plan and nursery schedule, reporting progress, product yields and sales to Farm Manager (or R&D Manager in 2022) at month end.
- Prepare monthly agricultural invoicing, including accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Contribute feedback to and conduct farmer evaluations/performance reviews.
- Assist with recruitment, provide orientations and training of agricultural standard operating procedures, including safe equipment handling.
- Oversee field maintenance and upkeep, liaise with Maintenance to ensure systems, equipment and infrastructure is properly maintained.
- Ensure all agricultural working spaces are organized and procedures are in place to protect tools and equipment.
- Accept and perform additional tasks as required for optimal performance of the business.
- Actively represent and promote Pearle Hospitality’s core values within the workplace.
- Follow company policies and procedures as defined and outlined by Pearle Hospitality.
- Follow all Health and Safety standards to ensure a safe work environment.
What we would like you to bring to the position:
- 3 + years of organic and/or regenerative agricultural experience
- 2 + years of management experience
- Experience assembling/disassembling drip and overhead irrigation systems
- Nursery production experience
- Organic pest management experience
- Ability to create and maintain deep compost and raised beds
- Knowledge and operation experienced with tractors, tractor implements, power equipment, and hand tools.
- Leadership: Experience building and maintaining a successful team and creating a cooperative working and learning environment. Ability to effectively delegate and schedule a group of people.
- Organization & Record Keeping: Follow and maintain crop records for field production (field crop plans, planting, and harvest tracking).
- Training & Development: Take ownership and demonstrate commitment to further develop skills and knowledge for personal and professional growth, as well as support the growth and development of farm team and volunteers. Perform evaluations/performance reviews for farm teams.
- Time Management: Ability to schedule personal and team’s time effectively. Ability to prioritize tasks when necessary to achieve best results and maximize efficiency.
- Problem Solving: Pivot as needed when situations change. Remain positive in the face of difficult situations and when plans must be adjusted based on situations that may sometimes be outside of your control (i.e., weather)
- Role will be an on-site, farm environment – This may expose the employee to extreme weather conditions, dust, dampness, moving machinery, and cleaning agents.
- This is a highly physical role. Physical requirements of the role may include standing, sitting, kneeling, bending, squatting, and walking.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Full-time position with typical hours of Monday-Friday, 8 am – 4 pm. Due to the nature of the farming industry and the growing season, the employee may be required to work longer hours and varying schedule to reflect and fulfill the business needs. This may include overtime, weekends, and holidays.
Why join Pearle Hospitality team:
- Off-season/Winter employment opportunities available
- Possibility for on-site living accommodations
- Competitive wages
- Discounts at all Pearle Hospitality restaurants, hotels, and spas
- Training and Development
- Growth opportunities
- Amazing team and company culture!
Interested? Please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the headline FIELD MANAGER
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.
Expected start date: March 1, 2022