URBAN FARMING & HORTICULTURE
Position: Urban Farmer
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Are you looking to work for a company that has values in the right place and that helps build more sustainable cities and communities?
MicroHabitat is looking for someone to fill the position of Urban Farmer with ambition, leadership and a passion for agriculture.
At MicroHabitat, we are implementing urban agriculture to improve the urban environment, the lifestyles of city dwellers and encourage a better understanding of environmental issues. We install vegetable gardens on the roofs of companies, institutions and schools in order to reconnect people to nature and their food.
What's in it for you?
- A rewarding job where you can cultivate in unique places and enjoy summer
- A competitive salary and paid vacation per year upon hiring
- Free coffee and tea
- A team-oriented work environment that encourages initiative and leadership
- Happy hour and various social events throughout the year
- Fun team activities with your colleagues - because MicroHabitat is first and foremost a big family!
- Work and meet colleagues as passionate as you
Job Description :
The role of this person is to set up urban agriculture projects throughout Toronto with a multicultural clientele within their work and living environment located in different boroughs of Toronto under the supervision of the Director of Operations. This position will also be responsible for planning, installing and maintaining and harvesting food production zones. The goal of this position is raising awareness and transferring knowledge in urban agriculture to this varied clientele.
Tasks and main responsibilities:
The person holding this position will be responsible for setting up agriculture projects, managing their production areas, monitoring, supporting and evaluating the urban agriculture activities of the projects that they are responsible for. This position requires to work in concert with members of the MicroHabitat team in order to contribute to the company's expansion around the world and the deployment of urban agriculture in each of our cities. The person will also be responsible for leading educational workshops in English for clients of all ages.
- Coordinate and prepare materials for installations.
- Carry out the installations and supervise the installation team during the installation season.
- Ensure the full maintenance of MicroHabitat urban farms and mobilize members of these organizations by offering project information and horticultural advice.
- Perform quality insurance horticulture maintenances of rooftop farms.
- Perform all other related tasks (harvesting, cuttings, watering, tying up tomato plants, controlling pests and weeds, cleaning crops, delivering crops).
- Carry out educational activities with MicroHabitat clients.
Representation and administration:
- Host information kiosks and workshops in English on urban agriculture for clients of all ages.
- Attend team meetings and meetings with partners.
- Write reports and document the activities of each of the production sites.
- Perform all other related tasks related to purchasing and maintaining MicroHabitat tools and infrastructure.
- Follow companies safety and COVID measures and procedures.
- Perform quality insurance infrastructure visits of rooftops and rooftop farms.
- Participate in the creation of standardization documents and training guides for the companies operations.
- Work directly with the different branches of the company (sales and marketing) as well as the other cities where MicroHabitat operates.
- Scout, acquire, maintain, assess and track all the necessary infrastructure needed for the MicroHabitat operations.
- Participate in grant research and filling.
- Participate and manage all the different steps in the implementation of our food production sites
- Facilitate and participate in the implementation of urban agriculture projects around the city of Toronto.
- Coordinate and prepare for installations, weekly maintenance visits and closing events of the food production spaces.
- Carry out horticultural activities with clients.
- Ensure the maintenance of all MicroHabitat food production spaces.
- Perform all other related tasks (harvesting, cutting, fertilizing, watering, tying up tomato plants, pest and weed control, crop cleaning, crop delivery).
- Ensure that safety guidelines are respected in every area that touches the MicroHabitat operations.
- Ensure that cleanliness is maintained at all times, in all food production areas, as well as in every one of MicroHabitats clients spaces and its own.
- Ensure that all operation reports are filed.
- Participate in operational process improvement.
- Schedule and coordinate food production site visits.
- Make sure that the operations are maintaining cleanliness at all times, in all food production areas, as well as in every one of MicroHabitats’ clients spaces and its own.
Client experience and marketing:
- Send out marketing materials and content to clients.
- Ensure the satisfaction and retention of every client and potential client.
- Ensure that all operation reports are filed and shared with partners as well as clients.
- Participate in client satisfaction process improvement.
- Participate in marketing content gathering for the marketing and sales team.
- Make sure the MicroHabitat brand shines on every aspect of the business throughout the GTA.
Human resource Management:
- Support the MicroHabitat team in the hiring process of the Toronto installations team.
- Supervise the MicroHabitat team to carry out the installations during the installation period.
- Track, evaluate and assess employee’s needs and performance.
- Follow-up on employee reports.
- Prepare the MicroHabitat operational infrastructure, vehicles and inventory storage for winter.
- Handle other miscellaneous duties and responsibilities as defined by the team during the offseason.
- Ensure the satisfaction of every client and potential client.
- Ensure that all operation reports are filed
- Participate in operational process improvement
- Undergo a Linkedin transformation, in order to represent the company in a matter that will standardize your image with the rest of the team and maximise your potential growth within the company.
- Lead generation work in support to the sales team.
Schedule for applications and entry into position:
Apply by May 20th.
- Hold a College or university degree in agriculture and/or urban agriculture and/or horticulture and/or environmental science and/or sustainable development.
- Must have worked or studied in the field of agriculture, horticulture, urban agriculture or sustainable development.
- Have theoretical and practical knowledge in agriculture, urban agriculture or horticulture.
- Have experience in mobilization and workshop facilitation.
- Must have experience and be comfortable frequently using technological tools such as a smartphone, the Microsoft Office suite, the Google suite and video conferencing platforms (ex: Zoom, Google Meet, etc. ).
- Have good writing and speaking skills.
- Possess a valid driving license.
- Have two years of driving experience.
- Own a functional smartphone.
- Have a home workspace (Desk and office chair at home for telecommuting purposes).
- Good mobilization capacity.
- Participatory leadership.
- Have a vision and passion for urban agriculture and sustainable development.
- Interpersonal skills, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Autonomy, versatility and resourcefulness.
- Sense of initiative, organization and priority management.
- Good capacity for popularization and transmission of knowledge.
- Patience, empathy and generosity.
- Good physical condition.
- Ability in group animation and management.
Salary and Benefits
- Duration: Seasonal position as of May 10th 2021 until the 15th November 2021
- Salary offered: $ 20 per hour + end of season Bonus.
+ Allowance of $ 20 per month for personal phone use.
+ Possibility of adding you to the MicroHabitat phone contract after the first three months of service.
+ Possibility of adding you to the MicroHabitat health insurance plan after the first three months of service.
+ one month paid vacation
Normal work schedule: Monday-Friday 9 am-5pm.
Possibility of overtime during the high season.
APPLY HERE : https://www.workstream.us/j/microhabitat/681bfaa4
For any questions related to the position, do not hesitate to contact us at (438) 476-5273 extension 3
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.