Forward to a friend Tweet this Share this on Facebook Share:

Home | Job Postings | Local Food Jobs


Position: Urban Agriculture Specialist
Organization: Green Thumbs Growing Kids
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Eligibility: 30 or younger

$20/hr x 35 hr week
Start date: asap
One year contract position
Applicant must be 30 years of age or younger
Reports to: Program Manager, Green Thumbs Growing Kids

About Us:

Green Thumbs Growing Kids' mission is to cultivate environmental stewardship through hands-on garden and food education for urban children and their communities. The programs take place during the school day and after school/summertime, with a variety of age groups. The successful candidate will have experience with children and/or youth, and a working knowledge of greenhouse and garden tasks related to food production. Soil science and composting knowledge, as well as an ability to teach these concepts, are highly valued for this position. Bicycle/trailer an asset.

Our evolving vision for the school gardens is a Food Forest, feeding humans and other life forms. The teaching spaces are to include tree nurseries, pollinator patches, edible and medicinal plants, pathways that are distinguished from beds by the use of woodchip mulch, and signage where appropriate. In winter, the Urban Agriculture Specialist will concentrate on composting, lesson plans, and online/indoor classroom programs. This position is intended to approach climate change education in a hands-on, age appropriate fashion, by teaching soil health = plant health = human health = planetary health. There will be opportunities for professional development.

Description of Duties:

  • Manage greenhouse, school gardens and Green Roof tasks including food production, composting, planting, harvesting, weed control, pollinator plant support
  • Work collaboratively with teachers and colleagues (placement students, volunteers) to ensure that gardens are maintained, help train summer staff in proper gardening techniques, plant identification
  • Promote the School Garden programs in the community through blogging and social media, as time permits
  • Run programs with small groups, COVID-safe, after school and in summer
  • Support teachers remotely via email and text to use gardens for education
  • Develop, test and refine curriculum relating to food systems, horticulture, urban agriculture, healthy soil, carbon sequestration, food justice, culturally relevant foods, and food security, whenever possible
  • Track attendance and program content using our Program Log
  • Support online learning by creating or facilitating the creation of short videos/presentations that can be used in our online programming, until in-person programs are possible
  • Manage supplies including purchase using petty cash system
  • Recommend the purchase of tools and equipment, ongoing

To Apply:

Send cover letter and resume in one document to:
Subject: Urban Agriculture Specialist

Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.

DEADLINE: Nov 1, 5 pm

This position is covered 80% by ECO Canada, and the remaining 20% from grants and donations.


Share this on Facebook   Tweet This!  Email this to a friend   Share this on LinkedIn   Add this to Google Bookmarks   Print this page

Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.

Current status: Open/apply now.   Date posted: Oct 13 2021    ID: 61581