Home | Job Postings | Grow Food
TORONTO JOBS & SUMMER JOBS
Position: Urban Farm Learning Programs Specialist (Seasonal)
Type: age 30 & under / summer
Organization: Flemingdon Park Ministry
Location: Flemingdon Park, Toronto ON (near Eglinton & Don Mills)
The Common Table is an urban farming and market project of the Flemingdon Park Ministry that seeks to directly address the issue of food insecurity.
We are currently seeking for a seasonal Urban Farm Learning Programs Specialist who will report directly to the Urban Farm Manager and the Executive Director and work with other members of the Common Table Crew to maintain the farm and create educational opportunities for children, youth, and families in the community.
- Apply by May 20, 2022
- Salary: $17 an hour
- Job Type: Seasonal – 30 hours/week – 9 weeks
- Starting Date: June 6, 2022
- Develop and execute, in consultation and under the supervision of the Urban Farm Manager, all educational activities held on the Urban Farm including preparation of the farm for student visits, lesson planning, creation of educational materials, and teaching hands-on edible education to children of various ages.
- Conduct educational workshops and tours and lead volunteer groups in a safe and educational environment.
- Develop curriculum & execute lesson plans, as needed.
- Assist the Urban Farm Manager with record keeping of educational efforts.
- Assist with planting, preparation, and maintenance of the Urban Farm
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- Provide excellent customer service when interacting with visitors.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned by the Urban Farm Manager.
- B.A. in Agriculture, Education, or Sustainability related field or equivalent experience
- One year or more of experience with educational children’s programming, teaching and/or working with youth and coordinating group dynamics
- One or more years of agriculture experience and/or degree in agriculture or related field
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools, plant diseases, and sustainable growing principals
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Ability to perform physical labour; must be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to work overtime, evenings and weekends, as needed
- Ability to use light power equipment and hand tools
- Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout the farm
- Valid Driver License
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
- Police Clearance Check
- CPR/First Aid Certification (Preferred)
- Experience engaging youth and low-income communities in urban food-justice activities (Preferred)
- Experience training and supervising volunteers and interns (Preferred)
- Experience developing standards-aligned, outdoor education curriculum (Preferred)
- Fluency in another language is a plus.
Areas of Responsibility
Garden Education (65%)
- Leading education programs for students and community members during on-site programming.
- Leading community workshops.
- Developing new garden-based, standards-aligned lessons for use in programming.
- Training and mentoring volunteers and interns.
- Developing on-site program schedules and agendas; and,
- Maintaining teaching materials and teaching spaces at partner sites and at the Urban Teaching Farm.
Please send resume and cover letter to the Executive Director at: email@example.com , subject: Farm Learning Programs Specialist
Please indicate you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca.
Note: This posting is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of this posting. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date posted: May 9 2022